By Lindsay Cotter
Spring is here and with it comes lots of new seasonal produce. This apple, leek, and red cabbage salad makes a nutrient packed side dish that’s nutritious and delicious and pairs well with lean protein.
When you eat fruits and vegetables that are in season, you’re likely to get more nutrients as local produce has traveled less and is able to retain most of its nutritional content.
Green apple, leeks, and cabbage are all part of April’s produce bounty, so a super nutritious seasonal salad is in the works!
Leeks: Very good source of Vitamin K and Iron
Cabbage: Vitamin C
Apple: Vitamin C
Beef: Iron + Protein
• ½ head red cabbage
• 1 cup chopped green apple
• ¼ red onion
• ½ cup chopped leeks
• ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• Dash of paprika or chili pepper
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• Sea salt
• Black pepper
• 1/3 cup crumbled feta
• ½ pound of lean steak
1. Chop all vegetables and fruit and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and toss again.
3. Heat a pan and lightly sauté the vegetables/fruit mixture until leeks are tender.
4. Once cooked, transfer back into bowl and add in vinegar, seasoning, and seeds.
5. Place in fridge until chilled.
6. Cut beef into small strips, season with a dash of black pepper and sea salt, then grill or sear for about 10 minutes or until medium.
7. Add steak to chilled salad and top with crumbled feta.
Note: For a vegan version, replace the beef with tempeh or grilled tofu.
Lindsay is a long time Core Power user and fan. Along with being a regular contributor to the fairlife team and the Core Power Blog, she’s a #FitFluential Ambassador, a nutrition/fitness consultant, and has a passion for Gluten Free cooking. She’s married to pro-triathlete James Cotter. Meet Lindsay at CotterCrunch.com and follow her on Twitter.