fairlife, LLC is a Chicago-based dairy company that produces nourishing and great-tasting milk-based products made using a patented cold-filtration process that removes some natural sugars while concentrating the protein and calcium naturally found in real cows’ milk.
Our line of delicious, lactose-free fairlife® products includes: fairlife® ultra-filtered milk, which has 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than regular milk; fairlife® with DHA, ultra-filtered milk with DHA Omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health; fairlife YUP!®, a line of flavored milks; Core Power® High Protein Shakes, a sports nutrition drink to support post-workout recovery; fairlife smart snacks®, a drinkable snack to help curb hunger between meals; fairlife® nutrition plan™, a nutrition shake to support one’s journey to better health; and the newly launched fairlife® creamers, coffee creamers designed to help enhance your coffee experience. In partnership with The Coca-Cola Company®, fairlife ultra-filtered milk and Core Power high protein shakes are distributed throughout the United States (U.S.) and Canada; all other fairlife drinks are available in the U.S.
To learn more about fairlife and its collection of products, please visit fairlife.com.
job purpose: The Product Development Scientist will provide technical expertise and leadership on business activities within the Research and Development department in support of the fairlife business unit. In addition, this position will carry out strategic initiatives that directly influence the achievement of business objectives and will build and maintain strong relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Develop benchtop dairy product formulations, produce pilot plant prototypes, perform in-line plant testing procedures, implement scale-up formulations for production plant commercialization
- Source and leverage ingredients and equipment from suppliers
- Obtain, manage and coordinate ingredient and product technical documents, such as nutritional data sheets, allergen statements, labeling specifications, supplier certifications, etc.
- Investigate, develop, implement, utilize and interpret analytical lab testing procedures to ensure product quality
- Maintain accurate and complete technical data records and logs
- Learn, explore and utilize plant equipment, such as membrane systems, UHT processing equipment, etc.
- Work in collaboration and maintain company alignment with cross functional team members; Operations, Sales, Marketing and Finance
- Generate potential innovation ideas that drive incremental business revenue
- Write and proof technical reports on scientific findings
- Research and explore innovation concepts and apply findings to everyday processes
- B.S. Degree in Food Science or Dairy Science required
- 3+ years of experience in product development strongly preferred
- Excellent understanding of food science and technology principles, and ability to apply them in product development and commercialization
- Experience with a broad range of ingredient categories
- Understanding of generating nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues
- Must have a demonstrated track record of translating commercial objectives into Research & Development strategies
- Ability to taste and distinguish sensory characteristics of many different types of products
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively with respect to products and processes
- Excellent ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Global regulatory awareness
- Strong coordination skills and ability to excel in a fluid, cross-functional team environment
- Well-balanced between the strategic view and executional aspects of the job
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and influencing skills, with the ability to efficiently and effectively communicate technical information
- Strong presentation skills both to customers and internal contacts
- Build and maintain a team of highly competent and results-focused individuals
- Computer skills that include Genesis, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Demonstrate technical competence in the areas of lab work, ingredient functionality, food formulation and food production
- Willingness to learn the science and the production of dairy products
- Demonstrated superior problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Self-Motivated with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
working conditions and physical requirements:
- Ability to work extended workdays and workweeks as necessary
- Exposure to manufacturing ingredients, processes and manufacturing equipment
- Ability to life up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to drive a personal or rental automobile for 4-6 hours as needed
position location: Chicago, IL
reports to: Director of Product Development
travel requirements: 10-30%
fairlife, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. All qualified applicants and employees will be given equal opportunity. Selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
In addition to its nondiscrimination commitment, the Company will also provide reasonable accommodation of qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the Company. If you have a disability and would like to request accommodation in order to apply for a position with us, please email [email protected].