fairlife, LLC is a Chicago-based dairy company that produces nourishing and great-tasting milk-based products made using a patented cold-filtration process that removes some natural sugars while concentrating the protein and calcium naturally found in real cows’ milk.
Our line of delicious, lactose-free fairlife® products includes: fairlife® ultra-filtered milk, which has 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than regular milk; fairlife® with DHA, ultra-filtered milk with DHA Omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health; fairlife YUP!®, a line of flavored milks; Core Power® High Protein Shakes, a sports nutrition drink to support post-workout recovery; fairlife smart snacks®, a drinkable snack to help curb hunger between meals; fairlife® nutrition plan™, a nutrition shake to support one’s journey to better health; and the newly launched fairlife® creamers, coffee creamers designed to help enhance your coffee experience. In partnership with The Coca-Cola Company®, fairlife ultra-filtered milk and Core Power high protein shakes are distributed throughout the United States (U.S.) and Canada; all other fairlife drinks are available in the U.S.
To learn more about fairlife and its collection of products, please visit fairlife.com.
job purpose: The Process Automation Engineer will be part of the engineering team within fairlife, LLC, reporting to the Senior Automation Engineer. Under limited supervision, the Process Automation Engineer is responsible for the process automation and controls systems design, specification, documentation, programming, simulation, testing, start-up assistance, troubleshooting, corrective actions and improvements. Additionally, they will provide factory and departmental leadership, particularly in dairy process automation related activities. The Process Automation Engineer possesses operational, technical equipment, dairy process, troubleshooting, and automation systems programming expertise. They assist enterprise-wide with managing and overseeing operational automated controls and capital project programming protocols and installations, as well as manufacturing-related processes. The Automation Engineer plans, directs, documents, and coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Information Systems Manager and Maintenance Instrumentation & Controls Technicians. They are responsible for ensuring and improving the overall efficient performance, productivity, and operational compliance of the plant automation through the provision of effective methods, controls, and strategies.
- PLC logic programming
- HMI or SCADA programming and configuration of any of the following software packages Wonderware, Rockwell, Siemens, US Data, etc.
- Read and red-line PI&D drawings and wiring schematics
- Develop and implement standard electrical and automation engineering practices
- Design, configure, integrate and implement process control solutions for various dairy processing specifications
- Develop P&IDs and loop descriptions for various plants, processes, and equipment
- Continuously improve process control systems through Advanced Process Control, Alarm Management, and Operator Interface optimization
- Develop user requirement specifications
- Design, write, implement, test and document PLC and HMI software
- Develop control system validation/testing protocols
- Assist with estimates of man-hours required to complete projects and scope of projects
- Manage automation improvement projects
- Train operators, managers, and IC Technicians on control systems
- Serve as a resource and a technical expert for the plant in all disciplines of automation controls for process equipment
- Serve as plant liaison for new system start up and commissioning by outside controls contractors and system integrators to insure proper transfer of documented PLC program changes and adequate training on the installation/changes that have been completed
food safety responsibilities:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety
- Understand, observe, and comply with the handling and usage of the color-coded container policy while in the Production Areas
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, or related field required
- 7+ years of experience in the dairy processing, directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified required
- Experience in commissioning and startup of control systems
- HMI or SCADA programming and configuration of Rockwell Factory Talk View ME and SE
- Allen Bradley VFDs (primarily PowerFlex 525s, 70s and 700s)
- Familiarity with industrial control networks such as ControlNet, DeviceNet, EtherNet/IP and ASi
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the National Electric Code (NEC) and international standards
- Proficiency designing and programming control systems with emphasis on PLCs, SCADA or HMI systems. Experience with Allen Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC500 PLCs, Siemens, is preferred.
- Ability to work with internal engineers, external vendors, operators, and management to manage projects and assignments is essential
- Ability to troubleshoot control systems from the field element up through operator interfaces and databases
- Proficiency working with SQL Server, Oracle, or other relational databases
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI preferred
- Proficiency with Visual Basic scripting desired
- Familiarity with dairy productions processes, Clean In Place, Pasteurized Milk Ordinance and legal pasteurization controls/requirements
- Familiarity with process instrumentation (flow meters, level transmitters, RTDs/temperature transmitters, level probes, etc.)
- Knowledge of USDA, State, and Federal regulations for a dairy manufacturing facility
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to support production demands including on-call support when necessary
position location: Chicago, IL, Phoenix, AZ, or Remote
reports to: Senior Automation Engineer
travel requirements: 45-50%