fairlife, LLC is a Chicago-based dairy company that produces nourishing and great-tasting milk-based products made using a patented cold-filtration process that removes some natural sugars while concentrating the protein and calcium naturally found in real cows’ milk.
Our line of delicious, lactose-free fairlife® products includes: fairlife® ultra-filtered milk, which has 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than regular milk; fairlife® with DHA, ultra-filtered milk with DHA Omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health; fairlife YUP!®, a line of flavored milks; Core Power® High Protein Shakes, a sports nutrition drink to support post-workout recovery; fairlife® nutrition plan™, a nutrition shake to support one’s journey to better health; and the newly launched fairlife® Light Ice Cream, a line of creamy, frozen desserts. In partnership with The Coca-Cola Company®, fairlife ultra-filtered milk and Core Power high protein shakes are distributed throughout the United States (U.S.) and Canada; all other fairlife products are available in the U.S.
To learn more about fairlife and its collection of products, please visit fairlife.com.
job purpose: The Pilot Plant Technician will support and assist in the operation of the R&D Pilot Plant in Chicago. This position will be responsible for executing trials and operate process equipment with GMP under general supervision while maintaining a safe, clean, and sanitary work area. This role will work with the Manager to make recommendations to the Research & Development team as well as the Chief Scientist regarding new products, etc.
- Operation of various processing equipment (HTST, UHT, Membrane Filtration, etc.) producing various samples for internal and external use as requested by R&D
- Assist in maintaining equipment in good sanitary and working condition.
- Execute trials on pilot scale equipment
- Follow CIP and COP procedures
- Maintain a safe, clean, and sanitary work area
- Adhering to GMP and other safety regulations
- Orders chemicals, equipment, and lab supplies
- Organizing supplies and maintaining records of all inventories (chemical/equipment).
- Maintain security and confidentiality of information within the research and development and quality group
- Perform other duties assigned by Pilot Plant Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Biology, Dairy Science or related discipline or Associate’s Degree with relevant experience preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in the food industry (Dairy processes and applications is a plus)
- Ability to operate pasteurizing equipment, HTST and UHT (experience with Microthermics equipment is highly preferred)
- Membrane filtration processing experience a plus
- Ability to operate and maintain lab and pilot plant equipment safely
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Computer skills in processing equipment and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure
- Comfortable handling potentially dangerous substances (flammable liquids, biohazards, etc.)
- Keen attention to detail
- Enjoys working in a team
- Positive “Can Do” attitude
Working conditions and physical requirements:
- 8+ hours sitting/standing/walking
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Exposure to hazards (steam, chemicals, machinery, confined spaces, etc.)
- Be flexible with hours and scheduling, ability to work all shifts including extended hours as needed (up to 12 hours due to certain trial work)
food safety requirements:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety.
- Understand, observe, and comply with the handling and usage of the color-coded container policy while in the Production Areas.
- Perform all duties necessary to meet Company, Customer and/or Government requirements/standards as prioritized by the Company.
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Control further processing or delivery of nonconforming product in terms of Food Safety and Quality issues until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected.
- In the event of absence, another employee with the same skill level will assume the duties and responsibilities as required.
position location: Chicago, IL
reports to: Pilot Plant Manager
travel requirements: 5%
fairlife, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. All qualified applicants and employees will be given equal opportunity. Selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
In addition to its nondiscrimination commitment, the Company will also provide reasonable accommodation of qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the Company. If you have a disability and would like to request accommodation in order to apply for a position with us, please email [email protected].