Laboratory Testing Technician
fairlife, LLC, is a Chicago-based health food company with a mission to enrich lives by sustainably providing nourishment and vitality to the world. We produce and market nutritious and great-tasting milk beverages made using a patented cold-filtration process that removes lactose and sugars while maximizing the natural proteins, nutrients, and minerals found in cow’s milk. The company was founded in 2012 by Select Milk Producers, Inc.®, a group of dairy farmers dedicated to the pursuit of higher quality milk and a desire to revitalize the dairy industry through forward-thinking product innovation.
Our line of delicious fairlife® products includes: fairlife® ultra-filtered milk, the only cow’s milk with 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than regular milk for the whole family; Core Power®, a high protein milk shake for athletes and fitness enthusiasts to help build lean muscle and support healthy post-workout recovery; fairlife® with DHA, an ultra-filtered milk with DHA Omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health; fairlife® YUP!™, a line of flavored milks; and the newly launched fairlife® Nutrition Plan™, a high protein, low sugar meal-replacement drink. In partnership with The Coca-Cola Company®, fairlife ultra-filtered milk and Core Power high protein shakes are distributed throughout the United States (U.S.) and Canada; all other fairlife drinks are available nationwide in the U.S.
To learn more about fairlife and its collection of products, please visit fairlife.com.
Entry level position that provides key support for the Quality Department including: water testing, raw milk testing, raw and pasteurized load out testing, Finished Product testing, microbiological testing, chemical titrations, and work-in-process testing. Employee is responsible for generating daily reports, data entry and collection, project assistance, filing, assist in conduct of special studies, calibrations, data collection, and communicating with other departments
- Ability to operate lab testing instrumentation correctly. Testing includes moisture/solids, protein, fat and pH. Technician will be responsible for understanding microbiological plating, Foss analytical equipment, pH meter and other laboratory instrumentation as needed.
- All instrumentation is to be operated in a safe, efficient, and sanitary manner.
- Perform daily quality line audits, evaluations and testing on plant floor as assigned.
- Required to perform sensory evaluations on all finished products.
- Fill out required laboratory data worksheets and logs in an accurate manner.
- Maintain all results and reports in a confidential manner in accordance with the Company Letter of Confidentiality.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, orderly, and neat work area at all times.
- Must keep area stocked with sufficient supplies to perform job responsibilities.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Communication of results to the proper individuals in a timely, confidential, and professional manner.
- Preparation of all solutions and media required in the performance of laboratory tests.
- Recognize and notify Quality Assurance Manager and appropriate operations supervisors of any unusual results or product defects. Perform the necessary re-checks for analytical and microbiological test.
- Report immediately to supervisor or manager of any damage, irregular activity, or unsafe conditions concerning the plant equipment or lab instrumentation.
- Follow all safety, work, and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and GLP’s rules.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- College degree is required. A degree in science, chemistry, microbiology or food science is preferred.
- Experience in a laboratory setting is required.
- College level verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and understand English is required.
working conditions and physical requirements:
- Sitting/Standing/Walking/Lifting/Carrying: The Lab Testing Technician spends about 100% of the workday standing, usually running several different tests at different workstations. They sit while counting plates and using the computer. The Lab Testing Technician walks on uneven concrete and tile surfaces. The Lab Testing Technician lifts up to 25 pounds on an infrequent basis.
- Pushing/Pulling/Bending/Stooping: The Lab Testing Technician pushes/pulls small items on the work counters. The Lab Testing Technician pushes/pulls a dolly when transporting supplies from the warehouse to the lab. The Lab Testing Technician may bend down to take something out of the lower cabinets or drawers.
- Squatting/Kneeling/Twisting/Turning: The Lab Testing Technician may have to squat or kneel to pick up something from the floor onto the work counter, or to take something out of the lower cabinets or drawers. While standing or sitting at their workstation the Lab Testing Technician may have to twist or turn to get something from the counter behind them.
- Climbing/Balancing/Reaching: The Lab Testing Technician may climb a small ladder or footstool to reach items above or may climb stairs and ladders in the facility. The Lab Testing Technician may reach overhead to pull supplies in storage room down from the top shelves or to take syringe samples in receiving or processing.
- Grasping/Manipulating: The Lab Testing Technician has various tasks where grasping and manipulating is required.
food safety requirements:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety.
- Understand, observe, and comply with the handling and usage of the color-coded container policy while in the Production Areas.
- Perform all duties necessary to meet Company, Customer and/or Government requirements/standards as prioritized by the Company.
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Control further processing or delivery of nonconforming product in terms of Food Safety and Quality issues until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected.
- In the event of absence, another employee with the same skill level will assume the duties and responsibilities as required.
position location: Coopersville, MI
reports to: Quality Assurance Supervisor
travel requirements: N/A