fairlife, LLC is a Chicago-based dairy company that produces nourishing and great-tasting milk-based products made using a patented cold-filtration process that removes some natural sugars while concentrating the protein and calcium naturally found in real cows’ milk.
Our line of delicious, lactose-free fairlife® products includes: fairlife® ultra-filtered milk, which has 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than regular milk; fairlife® with DHA, ultra-filtered milk with DHA Omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health; fairlife YUP!®, a line of flavored milks; Core Power® High Protein Shakes, a sports nutrition drink to support post-workout recovery; fairlife® nutrition plan™, a nutrition shake to support one’s journey to better health; and the newly launched fairlife® creamers, coffee creamers designed to help enhance your coffee experience; and the newly launched fairlife® Light Ice Cream, a line of creamy, frozen desserts. In partnership with The Coca-Cola Company®, fairlife ultra-filtered milk and Core Power high protein shakes are distributed throughout the United States (U.S.) and Canada; all other fairlife products are available in the U.S.
To learn more about fairlife and its collection of products, please visit fairlife.com.
job purpose: The Automation Engineer will be part of the engineering team within fairlife, LLC, reporting to the Plant Engineer (plant manager initially). The Automation Engineer is responsible for the manufacturing automation and controls systems design, specification, documentation, programming, simulation, testing, and start-up assistance. He or she will provide factory and departmental leadership, particularly in maintenance guiding the Information Systems Manager and Instrumentation & Controls Technicians. The Automation Engineer possesses operational, technical equipment, process, troubleshooting, and automation systems programming expertise. They assist enterprise-wide with managing and overseeing operational automated controls and capital project programming protocols and installations, as well as manufacturing-related processes. The Automation Engineer plans, directs, documents, and coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Information Systems Manager and Maintenance Instrumentation & Controls Technicians. They are responsible for ensuring and improving the overall efficient performance, productivity, and operational compliance of the plant automation through the provision of effective methods, controls, and strategies.
- Develop and implement standard electrical and automation engineering practices
- Manage automation improvement projects
- PLC logic programming
- Design, configure, integrate and implement process control solutions for various manufacturing specifications
- Lead, coach, and manage the performance of the maintenance Instrument Control Technician team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Train operators, managers, and IC Technicians on control systems
- Develop P&IDs and loop descriptions for various plants, processes, and equipment
- Design, write program, implement, test and document PLC and HMI or SCADA software of any of the following software packages: Wonderware, Rockwell, Factory Talk, Siemens, US DATA
- Continuously improve process control systems through Advanced Process Control, Alarm Management, and Operator Interface Optimization
- Develop control system validation/testing protocols
- Create, edit, and document batch systems recipes
- Serve as a resource and a technical expert for the plant in all disciplines of automation controls for line, utility support, and process equipment
- Utilize financial data to improve cost-effectiveness. Assist in the preparation of the plant budget and control of the operational budgets
- Bachelor’s degree desired in electrical, mechanical, computer science, or chemical engineering or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified required
- Programming experience with Allen Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and SLC500 PLCs, Siemens, Mitsubishi, etc.
- HMI or SCADA programming and configuration
- Allen Bradley VFDs
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the National Electric Code (NEC) and international standards
- Proficiency designing and programming control systems with emphasis on PLCs, SCADA or HMI systems
- Ability to work with internal engineers, external vendors, operators, and management to manage projects and assignments is essential
- Ability to troubleshoot control systems from the field element up through operator interfaces and databases
- Proficiency with control system networking technologies and PC networking technology
- Proficiency working with SQL Server, Oracle, or other relational databases
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI preferred
- Familiarity with dairy productions processes, Clean In Place, Pasteurized Milk Ordinance and legal pasteurization controls/requirements
- Familiarity with instrumentation (flow meters, level transmitters, RTDs/temperature transmitters, level probes, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Specific knowledge of GMP’s and batch process control in the food science industry with validation experience is a plus
- Skilled in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Dairy and/or high-speed beverage maintenance experience
- Successful startup automation experience
- Demonstrated results of solving complex technical issues
- Microsoft Dynamics experience
food safety requirements:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety.
- Understand, observe, and comply with the handling and usage of the color-coded container policy while in the Production Areas.
- Perform all duties necessary to meet Company, Customer and/or Government requirements/standards as prioritized by the Company.
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system.
- Control further processing or delivery of nonconforming product in terms of Food Safety and Quality issues until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected.
- In the event of absence, another employee with the same skill level will assume the duties and responsibilities as required.
position location: Goodyear, AZ
reports to: Director of Automation
travel requirements: 5-10% annually, 40% during training/onboarding period
fairlife, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. All qualified applicants and employees will be given equal opportunity. Selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
In addition to its nondiscrimination commitment, the Company will also provide reasonable accommodation of qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the Company. If you have a disability and would like to request accommodation in order to apply for a position with us, please email [email protected].